A632.5.5.RB_MaceRoyce
Reflect on the reflection blog that you created in the previous exercise and consider the Dan Gilbert video from module one. Discuss your protected values and how far you are willing to go to support those values. Discuss how those protected values would influence your decision-making.
Gilbert (2005) and his discussion about why we make bad decisions directly relates to Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther's (2001) discussion about our decision-making inconsistencies. General values and the inconsistency or errors that accompany them are exposed by Gilbert's presentation which highlight the human tendency to miscalculate odds, compare with the past, and compare with the possible. Our values can be overpowered by these tendencies and force us to make bad decisions though inconsistently applying our protected values.
My protected values of integrity, community, and respect have paid dividends for me as a human being, but have always been challenged by my human tendency to miscalculate odds, compare with the past, and compare with the possible. For example, when I have exercised integrity and done the morally right thing even when nobody was looking, there was always the tendency to believe that lacking integrity could provide me with a better outcome.
My integrity has been challenged in the past where I thought that getting away with a lack of integrity was in my favor. I miscalculated the odds and challenged my own belief in the value of integrity. The second time that I challenged my belief in the value of in integrity, I was comparing with the past where integrity didn't get me a personally desired outcome. Lastly, I have been guilty of sacrificing integrity for the hope of a better outcome. As exemplified, Gilbert (2005) teaches us that values are consistently challenged which in turn causes us to inconsistently apply good decision-making behaviors.
In realizing Gilbert's points, I am now better prepared to protect my values and exercise them normally and more consistently - free of interference from miscalculation, past comparisons, or probable outcomes. My values will continue to influence my decision-making, but have become even stronger through the research provided by Gilbert's video, Hoch's approach to making decisions, and even this thought-provoking blog. We must reflect more deeply and take advantage of Gilbert's words when he says, "We will not be here 10,000 years from now because we underestimated the odds of our future pains and overestimated the value of our present pleasures."
References
Gilbert, D. (2005). Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions [Video file]. Retrieved from
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_researches_hapiness
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions.
Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Gilbert (2005) and his discussion about why we make bad decisions directly relates to Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther's (2001) discussion about our decision-making inconsistencies. General values and the inconsistency or errors that accompany them are exposed by Gilbert's presentation which highlight the human tendency to miscalculate odds, compare with the past, and compare with the possible. Our values can be overpowered by these tendencies and force us to make bad decisions though inconsistently applying our protected values.
My protected values of integrity, community, and respect have paid dividends for me as a human being, but have always been challenged by my human tendency to miscalculate odds, compare with the past, and compare with the possible. For example, when I have exercised integrity and done the morally right thing even when nobody was looking, there was always the tendency to believe that lacking integrity could provide me with a better outcome.
My integrity has been challenged in the past where I thought that getting away with a lack of integrity was in my favor. I miscalculated the odds and challenged my own belief in the value of integrity. The second time that I challenged my belief in the value of in integrity, I was comparing with the past where integrity didn't get me a personally desired outcome. Lastly, I have been guilty of sacrificing integrity for the hope of a better outcome. As exemplified, Gilbert (2005) teaches us that values are consistently challenged which in turn causes us to inconsistently apply good decision-making behaviors.
In realizing Gilbert's points, I am now better prepared to protect my values and exercise them normally and more consistently - free of interference from miscalculation, past comparisons, or probable outcomes. My values will continue to influence my decision-making, but have become even stronger through the research provided by Gilbert's video, Hoch's approach to making decisions, and even this thought-provoking blog. We must reflect more deeply and take advantage of Gilbert's words when he says, "We will not be here 10,000 years from now because we underestimated the odds of our future pains and overestimated the value of our present pleasures."
References
Gilbert, D. (2005). Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions [Video file]. Retrieved from
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_researches_hapiness
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions.
Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Comments
Post a Comment