A632.8.4.RB_MaceRoyce
Based upon the video from module eight on Cynefin Framework, reflect on the 3 ways each quadrant of the Cynefin Framework can facilitate decision-making using examples from your own experience.
Three ways in which each quadrant of the Cynefin Framework can facilitate decision-making:
Example: In deciding to join the military at the age of 19, the decision was not an easy one. As I apply the Cynefin Framework to this scenario, I can start to piece together how each frame affected my decision in three different ways.
Simple: First, joining the military is generally a good practice for those who have already established respect and discipline in their lives. I was one of these people, so my decision to join the military became a simple one from this aspect. Second, I took heed to those around me that were currently in the military or who had previously served. Looking at their satisfaction and success as military members made the decision to join that much more simple. Lastly, the benefits of military service were well known and unmatched by many other organizations. These benefits made the decision easier and more simplified my decision.
Complicated: First, this time in my life was quite uncertain. I was just a young 19 year old that had a high school sweetheart and a job at her father's convenience store. I didn't know what to do in life, so my parents came up with an idea to join the military. They were the "specialists" in the scenario because of my slight uncertainty on what to do in life. Second, I didn't know exactly what the military life entailed. Surely someone can tell you what it's like, but that isn't the same as experiencing it for yourself. Hearing something, but not experiencing it for yourself presented a level of complicated uncertainty. Third, I knew that if the military wasn't for me, I could do my four years and get out like I had heard other do. Others who had done their time (specialist in this particular scenario) passed this knowledge along and eased my uncertainty.
Complex: First, my relationship with my high school sweetheart was uncertain should I go to boot camp. I quickly probed the scenario as it related to her by telling her that I had made the decision to leave for the military. Unsurprisingly, she dumped me and and my uncertainty of our relationship increased. Second, I had a group of experts (family, veterans, and military members) who could provide me a sense if certainty in this complex scenario. They had similar stories about a girlfriend who had broke up with them over joining the military and were able to assure me that I was making the right decision and everything would turn out alright. Third, complexity and uncertainty was somewhat welcome at this stage of my life. I was hungry for a new challenge and realized that I was meant for something much bigger than myself.
Chaos: First, my emotions as a teenager were somewhat chaotic. The break-up with my girlfriend at the time was chaotic as I tried everything to get her back and I wanted her to see that I was making the right decision. I was acting quickly to control the situation. Second, I had never had to come up with so many documents for entry and I had make a quick decision on what job specialty that I wanted. My uncle was a retired air traffic controller and had talked me into leaning towards air traffic control. The chaos lay in the fact that I wanted to be free to choose my job, but also I was conscious to not disappoint my uncle who had been so supportive up to this point. I acted quickly with my recruiter to see what jobs were available, so that the uncertainty of the situation would lessen more quickly. Third, I finally decided to go for air traffic control as a job once I knew that it was available. In doing so, I had to take an aptitude test and score well enough in order to qualify. I didn't want the job to go away should I not take the test quickly. Studying quickly for the test and subsequently taking it was a very uncertain time, so I did my best to act quickly and move the entire scenario from the chaotic frame to one of the three previous frames.
References
Snowden, D. (2010, July 11). The Cynefin Framework [Video file].
Retrieved from http://www.spring.org.uk/the1sttransport
Three ways in which each quadrant of the Cynefin Framework can facilitate decision-making:
Example: In deciding to join the military at the age of 19, the decision was not an easy one. As I apply the Cynefin Framework to this scenario, I can start to piece together how each frame affected my decision in three different ways.
Simple: First, joining the military is generally a good practice for those who have already established respect and discipline in their lives. I was one of these people, so my decision to join the military became a simple one from this aspect. Second, I took heed to those around me that were currently in the military or who had previously served. Looking at their satisfaction and success as military members made the decision to join that much more simple. Lastly, the benefits of military service were well known and unmatched by many other organizations. These benefits made the decision easier and more simplified my decision.
Complicated: First, this time in my life was quite uncertain. I was just a young 19 year old that had a high school sweetheart and a job at her father's convenience store. I didn't know what to do in life, so my parents came up with an idea to join the military. They were the "specialists" in the scenario because of my slight uncertainty on what to do in life. Second, I didn't know exactly what the military life entailed. Surely someone can tell you what it's like, but that isn't the same as experiencing it for yourself. Hearing something, but not experiencing it for yourself presented a level of complicated uncertainty. Third, I knew that if the military wasn't for me, I could do my four years and get out like I had heard other do. Others who had done their time (specialist in this particular scenario) passed this knowledge along and eased my uncertainty.
Complex: First, my relationship with my high school sweetheart was uncertain should I go to boot camp. I quickly probed the scenario as it related to her by telling her that I had made the decision to leave for the military. Unsurprisingly, she dumped me and and my uncertainty of our relationship increased. Second, I had a group of experts (family, veterans, and military members) who could provide me a sense if certainty in this complex scenario. They had similar stories about a girlfriend who had broke up with them over joining the military and were able to assure me that I was making the right decision and everything would turn out alright. Third, complexity and uncertainty was somewhat welcome at this stage of my life. I was hungry for a new challenge and realized that I was meant for something much bigger than myself.
Chaos: First, my emotions as a teenager were somewhat chaotic. The break-up with my girlfriend at the time was chaotic as I tried everything to get her back and I wanted her to see that I was making the right decision. I was acting quickly to control the situation. Second, I had never had to come up with so many documents for entry and I had make a quick decision on what job specialty that I wanted. My uncle was a retired air traffic controller and had talked me into leaning towards air traffic control. The chaos lay in the fact that I wanted to be free to choose my job, but also I was conscious to not disappoint my uncle who had been so supportive up to this point. I acted quickly with my recruiter to see what jobs were available, so that the uncertainty of the situation would lessen more quickly. Third, I finally decided to go for air traffic control as a job once I knew that it was available. In doing so, I had to take an aptitude test and score well enough in order to qualify. I didn't want the job to go away should I not take the test quickly. Studying quickly for the test and subsequently taking it was a very uncertain time, so I did my best to act quickly and move the entire scenario from the chaotic frame to one of the three previous frames.
References
Snowden, D. (2010, July 11). The Cynefin Framework [Video file].
Retrieved from http://www.spring.org.uk/the1sttransport
Comments
Post a Comment