A634.3.4.RB_MaceRoyce
Using concepts from the Kramer (2003) article as a baseline, share your insights on dilemmas that happen in society, work, and in your life.
Kramer (2003) makes quite the analogy in comparing the hard fall of a giant to that of an individual who rises to power only to stumble and fall as a leader. As Henry Kissinger once said, "Power is the great aphrodisiac." Somehow, leaders sometimes lose themselves to an uncharacteristic mindset and/or behaviors. While Kramer (2003) argues that leaders must cast off certain skills and instincts while revitalizing and developing others, there seems to be deeper reasons for the dilemmas that surround society, work, and life.
Personally, the idea of power scares me on many levels. At a young age, I understood the concept of power and the feelings that came along with it. For example, being the oldest boy of three allowed me to control much of what my brothers did and didn't do growing up. If I wanted them to do something for me or I wanted something to myself, I normally got my way because I was bigger and stronger than they were. This sense of power at a young age showed me very early in life that power can be used and abused very easily.
While I never took my power to a dangerous extreme with my younger brothers, I do admit to abusing any power that I had over them. When that power was exercised and nearly crossed a few lines (near hospital visits or broken items in the house from fights), it only took a few times for me to scale back and realize that the bad things happening during childhood lay in the fact that I had so much power. I got a good taste of power early in life and I personally believe that the early taste of power has allowed me to avoid its abuse as an adult.
Referencing my own experience in concert with Kramer (2003), I make it a point to discuss those who are more likely to abuse their power in society to include the workplace. Kramer (2003) describes the fictional character, Marjorie Peel, who grew up in a lower-middle class family only to rise to the top of her organization as an adult. Individuals like Marjorie did not have an opportunity to harness power at a young age and observe its effects on others including themselves. This missed opportunity to feel the effects and potential failures of power in a less crucial stage of life creates the perfect storm for a potential power surge followed by a power failure.
Essentially, it is my belief that those who do not learn the effects or potential pitfalls of power early in life will usually learn those hard lessons at a much higher cost. down the road Having power as an adolescent is one thing, but imagine that power multiplied by ten with much more at stake as a professional adult who is in a leadership role. The lives of multiple individuals are potentially in your hands. A lesson in humility and the extent of which to wield power is hopefully learned prior to assuming any leadership roles. If not, the help of a mentor may be the only way to avoid self-destructive leadership behaviors as they relate to power.
References
Kramer, R. M. (2003). The harder they fall. (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 81(10), 58-66.
Kramer (2003) makes quite the analogy in comparing the hard fall of a giant to that of an individual who rises to power only to stumble and fall as a leader. As Henry Kissinger once said, "Power is the great aphrodisiac." Somehow, leaders sometimes lose themselves to an uncharacteristic mindset and/or behaviors. While Kramer (2003) argues that leaders must cast off certain skills and instincts while revitalizing and developing others, there seems to be deeper reasons for the dilemmas that surround society, work, and life.
Personally, the idea of power scares me on many levels. At a young age, I understood the concept of power and the feelings that came along with it. For example, being the oldest boy of three allowed me to control much of what my brothers did and didn't do growing up. If I wanted them to do something for me or I wanted something to myself, I normally got my way because I was bigger and stronger than they were. This sense of power at a young age showed me very early in life that power can be used and abused very easily.
While I never took my power to a dangerous extreme with my younger brothers, I do admit to abusing any power that I had over them. When that power was exercised and nearly crossed a few lines (near hospital visits or broken items in the house from fights), it only took a few times for me to scale back and realize that the bad things happening during childhood lay in the fact that I had so much power. I got a good taste of power early in life and I personally believe that the early taste of power has allowed me to avoid its abuse as an adult.
Referencing my own experience in concert with Kramer (2003), I make it a point to discuss those who are more likely to abuse their power in society to include the workplace. Kramer (2003) describes the fictional character, Marjorie Peel, who grew up in a lower-middle class family only to rise to the top of her organization as an adult. Individuals like Marjorie did not have an opportunity to harness power at a young age and observe its effects on others including themselves. This missed opportunity to feel the effects and potential failures of power in a less crucial stage of life creates the perfect storm for a potential power surge followed by a power failure.
Essentially, it is my belief that those who do not learn the effects or potential pitfalls of power early in life will usually learn those hard lessons at a much higher cost. down the road Having power as an adolescent is one thing, but imagine that power multiplied by ten with much more at stake as a professional adult who is in a leadership role. The lives of multiple individuals are potentially in your hands. A lesson in humility and the extent of which to wield power is hopefully learned prior to assuming any leadership roles. If not, the help of a mentor may be the only way to avoid self-destructive leadership behaviors as they relate to power.
References
Kramer, R. M. (2003). The harder they fall. (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 81(10), 58-66.
Comments
Post a Comment