A632.5.4.RB_MaceRoyce
Based on Irwin and Baron's discussion (pg.251); Reflect on three of your major protected values, support those values with at least three major beliefs and show the pros and cons of each belief in terms of trade-offs you are willing to make to support or not support that belief. Do you feel as strongly about them as you did when you began this exercise?
I personally hold three major protected values (PVs): integrity, community, and respect. While this list is not all-inclusive, they are deemed worthy of mention and apply to my current and more matured belief system. While these three PVs may not have been mentioned had I been 18 years old, they are my current PVs as I have been able to learn and grow as an individual over time. Our PVs and beliefs may change over time. Experiences help us to narrow down our most important list of values which are directly ties to our beliefs.
The first value that I will discuss is integrity. While I have always understood the word in the most basic sense, it wasn't until I joined the U.S. Air Force at the age of 19 that I would truly comprehend it. "Doing the morally right thing even when nobody is looking" became a quick and easy way for me to define an important value. A value that I shared with the Air Force and continue to believe strongly in even today.
There are absolutely zero trade-offs for me when it comes to my belief in integrity. There are no substitutes for doing the right thing at all times. Even when nobody is watching, true integrity holds us to a higher standard of honesty. Telling the truth only half the time is unacceptable. For example, if I were to participate in the Prisoner's Dilemma model of decision-making as described by Krogerus, Tschappeler, & Piening (2012), my strong belief in integrity would only allow me to confess to the crime that myself and my partner had committed. My con would be the jail time, but it will never outweigh the pro which is doing the right thing.
My next personal value is community. This value has become more important over time as I have come to realize the importance of serving our fellow man and those that share my same zip code, profession, organization, etc. As I have matured, the world has become less about me and more about others in my community. I personally volunteer within my community as a mentor to a young teenager who struggles at home and in the classroom.
This personal value does require trade-offs as sometimes our own families or personal needs outweigh the community. A perfect example of this is the fact that I am writing this blog as opposed to spending time with my mentee. I decided to trade-off my valued belief in community for the personal need to complete this reflection blog. While I strongly believe in community and the value it has to me as an individual, this exercise has taught me that the trade-off of completing my academics is more important (sometimes). Unfortunately, this takes away from my mentee and is a con, but overall, it is a trade-off that I must make as a student.
Lastly, my third value is respect. Treating each person with respect has been ingrained in me since I was a child and it continues to be an everlasting value for me as an adult. In my experience, when you give respect, you get respect. I have had people from my past that I didn't always like, but if they treated me with respect, I would reciprocate it. The trade-off of lacking respect can sometimes have a profound effect and be either a pro or con depending on the situation.
Sometimes trading respect for disrespect can teach others to shape up and give the respect that is deserved. While this trade-off doesn't always fix a disrespectful scenario, it can sometimes wake someone up and help them realize that respect is a two-way street. This can be a pro and/or a con depending on the person involved. While respect is sometimes the hardest value for me to appreciate on a regular basis, I understand it's importance in all interpersonal relationships (good or bad) and will continue to practice respect with those that may not even respect me.
References
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions.
Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Krogerus, M., Tschappeler, R., & Piening, J. (2012). The decision book: 50 models for
strategic thinking. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Co.
I personally hold three major protected values (PVs): integrity, community, and respect. While this list is not all-inclusive, they are deemed worthy of mention and apply to my current and more matured belief system. While these three PVs may not have been mentioned had I been 18 years old, they are my current PVs as I have been able to learn and grow as an individual over time. Our PVs and beliefs may change over time. Experiences help us to narrow down our most important list of values which are directly ties to our beliefs.
The first value that I will discuss is integrity. While I have always understood the word in the most basic sense, it wasn't until I joined the U.S. Air Force at the age of 19 that I would truly comprehend it. "Doing the morally right thing even when nobody is looking" became a quick and easy way for me to define an important value. A value that I shared with the Air Force and continue to believe strongly in even today.
There are absolutely zero trade-offs for me when it comes to my belief in integrity. There are no substitutes for doing the right thing at all times. Even when nobody is watching, true integrity holds us to a higher standard of honesty. Telling the truth only half the time is unacceptable. For example, if I were to participate in the Prisoner's Dilemma model of decision-making as described by Krogerus, Tschappeler, & Piening (2012), my strong belief in integrity would only allow me to confess to the crime that myself and my partner had committed. My con would be the jail time, but it will never outweigh the pro which is doing the right thing.
My next personal value is community. This value has become more important over time as I have come to realize the importance of serving our fellow man and those that share my same zip code, profession, organization, etc. As I have matured, the world has become less about me and more about others in my community. I personally volunteer within my community as a mentor to a young teenager who struggles at home and in the classroom.
This personal value does require trade-offs as sometimes our own families or personal needs outweigh the community. A perfect example of this is the fact that I am writing this blog as opposed to spending time with my mentee. I decided to trade-off my valued belief in community for the personal need to complete this reflection blog. While I strongly believe in community and the value it has to me as an individual, this exercise has taught me that the trade-off of completing my academics is more important (sometimes). Unfortunately, this takes away from my mentee and is a con, but overall, it is a trade-off that I must make as a student.
Lastly, my third value is respect. Treating each person with respect has been ingrained in me since I was a child and it continues to be an everlasting value for me as an adult. In my experience, when you give respect, you get respect. I have had people from my past that I didn't always like, but if they treated me with respect, I would reciprocate it. The trade-off of lacking respect can sometimes have a profound effect and be either a pro or con depending on the situation.
Sometimes trading respect for disrespect can teach others to shape up and give the respect that is deserved. While this trade-off doesn't always fix a disrespectful scenario, it can sometimes wake someone up and help them realize that respect is a two-way street. This can be a pro and/or a con depending on the person involved. While respect is sometimes the hardest value for me to appreciate on a regular basis, I understand it's importance in all interpersonal relationships (good or bad) and will continue to practice respect with those that may not even respect me.
References
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions.
Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Krogerus, M., Tschappeler, R., & Piening, J. (2012). The decision book: 50 models for
strategic thinking. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Co.
Comments
Post a Comment