A520.2.5.RB_MaceRoyce
Prepare a Blogger entry by reflecting on the following:
1) Assess your time management skills.
2) Evaluate how these skills have increased your locus of control.
3) Identify three new areas in which improved time management skills would reduce stress.
4) Add an action plan to integrate these to your daily routine.
Time management is definitely my best skill as a manager, leader, and a follower. At one time a few years ago, I was in the hardest time management situation of my entire adult life. Between full-time duties as a non-commissioned officer in charge of 22 personnel, full-time school working on a B.S. degree in aeronautics, working on a private pilot's license, and studying for promotion to the next rank, I had my hands completely full. In the end, I was able to keep everything at work in-line including winning "performer of the quarter" at one point, finished my degree with a 3.71 GPA, completed the private pilot's license, and got the promotion to the next rank. I think it fair to say that my time management skills were pretty good.
The time management skills that I exercised during this busy time most definitely increased my internal locus of control. By depending on a smart phone calendar, memory, and the ability to prioritize tasks, I was able to keep all of my tasks and deadlines together without failure. I inherently knew that there would be times where the external locus of control would be a factor and I would have to adjust accordingly. Time management was under control, so it allowed me some wiggle room when it came to outside factors that were out of my locus of control.
I can only think of two new areas in which improved time management would reduce stress. First, this graduate program has forced me to adjust to a new workload and level of expectations compared to a Bachelor's Degree. Critical thinking is very important when working on a graduate level program as it's not about the regurgitation of information learned, but learning the information, breaking it down, synthesizing it, and formulating an opinion or theory that further advances the topic at hand. Second, work has recently given me more responsibilities to contend with in addition to full-time graduate work. With new responsibility and only three classes into a new degree program, I am trying to adjust to the new work and learning environment.
My action plan to become better with the aforementioned areas of time management comes down to distractions. Mathews, Debolt, and Percival (n.d.) discuss blocking out distractions like Facebook and other forms of social media. I would also include texting in this category of distractions. I have recently started putting my phone on the other side of the room and charging it, so that it does not distract me from daily tasks. So far, it has really worked well and I have noticed that more tasks have been accomplished on the daily.
References
Mathews, J., Debolt, D., & Percival D. (n.d.). How to manage time with 10 tips that work. Retrieved
from http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/219553
1) Assess your time management skills.
2) Evaluate how these skills have increased your locus of control.
3) Identify three new areas in which improved time management skills would reduce stress.
4) Add an action plan to integrate these to your daily routine.
Time management is definitely my best skill as a manager, leader, and a follower. At one time a few years ago, I was in the hardest time management situation of my entire adult life. Between full-time duties as a non-commissioned officer in charge of 22 personnel, full-time school working on a B.S. degree in aeronautics, working on a private pilot's license, and studying for promotion to the next rank, I had my hands completely full. In the end, I was able to keep everything at work in-line including winning "performer of the quarter" at one point, finished my degree with a 3.71 GPA, completed the private pilot's license, and got the promotion to the next rank. I think it fair to say that my time management skills were pretty good.
The time management skills that I exercised during this busy time most definitely increased my internal locus of control. By depending on a smart phone calendar, memory, and the ability to prioritize tasks, I was able to keep all of my tasks and deadlines together without failure. I inherently knew that there would be times where the external locus of control would be a factor and I would have to adjust accordingly. Time management was under control, so it allowed me some wiggle room when it came to outside factors that were out of my locus of control.
I can only think of two new areas in which improved time management would reduce stress. First, this graduate program has forced me to adjust to a new workload and level of expectations compared to a Bachelor's Degree. Critical thinking is very important when working on a graduate level program as it's not about the regurgitation of information learned, but learning the information, breaking it down, synthesizing it, and formulating an opinion or theory that further advances the topic at hand. Second, work has recently given me more responsibilities to contend with in addition to full-time graduate work. With new responsibility and only three classes into a new degree program, I am trying to adjust to the new work and learning environment.
My action plan to become better with the aforementioned areas of time management comes down to distractions. Mathews, Debolt, and Percival (n.d.) discuss blocking out distractions like Facebook and other forms of social media. I would also include texting in this category of distractions. I have recently started putting my phone on the other side of the room and charging it, so that it does not distract me from daily tasks. So far, it has really worked well and I have noticed that more tasks have been accomplished on the daily.
References
Mathews, J., Debolt, D., & Percival D. (n.d.). How to manage time with 10 tips that work. Retrieved
from http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/219553
Comments
Post a Comment