A520.1.4.RB_MaceRoyce

Describe how your level of self-awareness has changed since you began your MSLD program with respect to the "Five Core Aspects of Self-Awareness" (p. 63).

MSLD 520 is my third class in the MSLD program thus far. As I reflect on core self-evaluation (identifies underlying personality attributes), values (identifies personal standards and moral judgment), cognitive style (identifies information acquisition and evaluation), attitudes toward change (identifies adaptability and responsibility), and emotional intelligence (identifies emotional awareness and control), I begin to reflect on just how much I am learning about myself as a manager and leader in respect to these core aspects.

By just completing this week's readings, I have already been challenged to determine my self- awareness. The Personal Assessment of Management Skills (PAMS) Survey (Whetten & Cameron, 2011) was a great starting place. This is the first such survey that I have taken since starting the MSLD program and showed me mid-survey how much my thinking has changed. I found myself answering questions based off of old behaviors (pre-MSLD program) vs. new behaviors (three classes into the MSLD program). I had a hard time determining a score for each question for the simple fact that I was realizing how much my thinking and some of my behaviors have changed in such a short time.

Additionally, I have come to realize that interacting with others in the MSLD program have helped me to elevate my level of self-awareness. Their feedback in discussion posts and through team projects have helped me to evaluate my abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Prior MSLD professors have also been instrumental in helping with self-awareness. Honest and productive feedback relating to leadership themed assignments and reflection blogs have bolstered my confidence and ability to determine if my leadership thinking is on the right track.

"Knowing thyself" is my core mission as I move through the MSLD program. It's not just about learning to become a better leader through a textbook and simply doing what it says tells you to do. It is about first evaluating what kind of leader you are and then determining where your strengths and weaknesses lie. From there, we can determine the best course of action towards the road to becoming better leaders by using our resources (teachers, mentors, readings, and leaders within our organization whom we look up to) along the way.


References

Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (5th ed.). Upper Saddle 
     River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc./Prentice Hall.


Comments

Popular Posts