A520.2.3.RB_MaceRoyce
Use your blog to describe an example of a successful conflict resolution that you have either witnessed or participated in.
What was the conflict?
What role did you play?
Who were the other participants in the negotiation?
What was the result?
Can you see any room for improvement to how the conflict was handled.
Approximately three years ago, myself and a co-worker (same military rank, but she help authority over me) had some conflict. Our work center was preparing for an upcoming inspection and my co-worker was in charge of preparing all of our training records for review by the inspecting authorities. One day leading up to the inspection, she approached me angrily and upset. She asked me why my records had not been updated appropriately prior to the inspection. I was a bit caught off guard, but explained to her that I did not know that they were incomplete and had been dealing with some important issues outside of work that had taken my focus away from work.
This conflict arose from a source of informational deficiency as I had thought that someone had taken care of my records for me. Informational deficiencies typically arise due to misinformation and misrepresentation (Whetten & Cameron, 2011), In not quite following up and checking the records myself (trust, but verify), I put myself in a bad position. She told me to get it done and she left on a rather uncomfortable note.
This uncomfortable and conflicting relationship lingered for the next two years. I definitely used the avoiding conflict management approach. All visits with her were short, to the point, and rushed. One day, a superior asked me to resolve the lingering conflict between us that had never been addressed since the original conflict arose. I decided it that it was time to try a new approach and went with the collaborating approach. I told her my feeling and how I felt and she reciprocated. We learned to work through those two years of uncomfortable situations in just a ten short minutes.
I really don't see where there could have been any room for improvement in this scenario except the fact that it could have taken place a lot earlier. Both myself and my co-worker were stubborn for too long. Although we didn't necessarily negotiate anything in particular, we both came away with a "win-win" in terms of approaching our conflict responsibly and as mature adults. I actually learned a lot from this conflict and now know that dealing with conflict is not as hard as it seems.
References
Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (5th ed.). Upper Saddle
River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc./Prentice Hall.
What was the conflict?
What role did you play?
Who were the other participants in the negotiation?
What was the result?
Can you see any room for improvement to how the conflict was handled.
Approximately three years ago, myself and a co-worker (same military rank, but she help authority over me) had some conflict. Our work center was preparing for an upcoming inspection and my co-worker was in charge of preparing all of our training records for review by the inspecting authorities. One day leading up to the inspection, she approached me angrily and upset. She asked me why my records had not been updated appropriately prior to the inspection. I was a bit caught off guard, but explained to her that I did not know that they were incomplete and had been dealing with some important issues outside of work that had taken my focus away from work.
This conflict arose from a source of informational deficiency as I had thought that someone had taken care of my records for me. Informational deficiencies typically arise due to misinformation and misrepresentation (Whetten & Cameron, 2011), In not quite following up and checking the records myself (trust, but verify), I put myself in a bad position. She told me to get it done and she left on a rather uncomfortable note.
This uncomfortable and conflicting relationship lingered for the next two years. I definitely used the avoiding conflict management approach. All visits with her were short, to the point, and rushed. One day, a superior asked me to resolve the lingering conflict between us that had never been addressed since the original conflict arose. I decided it that it was time to try a new approach and went with the collaborating approach. I told her my feeling and how I felt and she reciprocated. We learned to work through those two years of uncomfortable situations in just a ten short minutes.
I really don't see where there could have been any room for improvement in this scenario except the fact that it could have taken place a lot earlier. Both myself and my co-worker were stubborn for too long. Although we didn't necessarily negotiate anything in particular, we both came away with a "win-win" in terms of approaching our conflict responsibly and as mature adults. I actually learned a lot from this conflict and now know that dealing with conflict is not as hard as it seems.
References
Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (5th ed.). Upper Saddle
River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc./Prentice Hall.
Comments
Post a Comment