A521.9.4.RB_MaceRoyce
For this Reflection Blog, you will create a reflection blog focusing on Denning's Chapter 12, "A Different Kind of Leader."
In Chapter 12, Denning explicitly describes his dimensions of leadership. Reflect on those dimensions and how you expect they will impact the way you lead in the future. Include specific examples of how at least THREE of Denning's dimensions manifest in your own application of leadership.
Denning (2011) compiles dimensions of leadership that include the following: interactive leadership works with the world instead of against it, interactive leadership both adds and subtracts elements from the leadership palette, interactive leadership builds on personal integrity and authenticity, interactive leadership doesn't depend on the possession of hierarchical authority, interactive leadership benefits from the understanding of the different narrative patterns that can be used to get things done in the world, and above all, interactive leadership entails active participation in the world rather than detached observation.
Essentially, Denning is comprehensively communicating a very simple understanding of leadership... Interact with your subordinates and get the best out of them (ideas, performance, etc.) by trusting them and treating them as people and not as a just another number. You must exemplify the highest of moral and character standards, i.e. integrity and authenticity. Don't rely on and exude your hierarchical position. Use a hybrid version of leadership by using "command and control" when necessary. Above all, don't stand back and watch; you must interact, know, care, respect, and feel your people.
This is my simple way of describing Denning's articulate explanation of his dimensions of leadership. Interestingly enough, these dimensions are taught early on in one's Air Force career. Leaders before us taught us these dimensions while others did not, but it was the former style of leaders that I respected and modeled my own leadership style after. The leaders who interacted, set the right example, and gave me ownership inside their leadership realm. I expect this style of leadership to give me great "buy-in" from my people in the future. If they know that I respect them, care for them, and want/value their opinions, they will follow me anywhere.
Jackson (2014) quotes Sun Tzu and gives us a great example of what leadership should look like: "Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." Specifically, the following three dimensions of leadership resonate for me and manifest in my own application of leadership: leadership built on personal integrity and authenticity, adding and subtracting elements from the leadership palette, and actively participating rather than detached observation.
An example of leadership built on integrity and authenticity came from my DUI incident. I fessed up to the wrongdoing and was authentic in my remorse. My people respected me for that and supported me in this dark time.
An example of adding and subtracting elements from the leadership palette came when I gave one of my Airmen the opportunity to choose his own ramifications for being late on more than one occasion. I allowed him to have some decision making in his own punishment. I was exercising a hybrid style of leadership by allowing the Airman to decide his own punishment while still enforcing it and holding him to it.
Lastly, an example of interactive leadership where I participated as opposed to being detached came after my DUI incident. Instead of hiding my face and drowning in my own sorrows and embarrassment, I started my B.S. degree, took over as the lead non-commissioned officer (NCO) of an air traffic control crew (22 personnel), and won NCO performer of the quarter at the squadron and group levels. I wanted to show my team that I was ready to participate and be there for them even if I had made a mistake that contradicted that. My resiliency proved to my Airmen that they were the most important thing to me and that I was ready to lead our team even after a big mistake. Leaders don't pick and choose when to be leaders; they are leaders at all times despite the mistakes that they will inevitably make.
References
Denning, S. (2011). The leader's guide to storytelling: Mastering the art and discipline of business
narrative. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA.
Jackson, E. (2014). Sun Tzu's 31 best pieces of leadership advice. Retrieved
from http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2014/05/23/sun-tzus-33-best-pieces-of-leadership-
advice/
In Chapter 12, Denning explicitly describes his dimensions of leadership. Reflect on those dimensions and how you expect they will impact the way you lead in the future. Include specific examples of how at least THREE of Denning's dimensions manifest in your own application of leadership.
Denning (2011) compiles dimensions of leadership that include the following: interactive leadership works with the world instead of against it, interactive leadership both adds and subtracts elements from the leadership palette, interactive leadership builds on personal integrity and authenticity, interactive leadership doesn't depend on the possession of hierarchical authority, interactive leadership benefits from the understanding of the different narrative patterns that can be used to get things done in the world, and above all, interactive leadership entails active participation in the world rather than detached observation.
Essentially, Denning is comprehensively communicating a very simple understanding of leadership... Interact with your subordinates and get the best out of them (ideas, performance, etc.) by trusting them and treating them as people and not as a just another number. You must exemplify the highest of moral and character standards, i.e. integrity and authenticity. Don't rely on and exude your hierarchical position. Use a hybrid version of leadership by using "command and control" when necessary. Above all, don't stand back and watch; you must interact, know, care, respect, and feel your people.
This is my simple way of describing Denning's articulate explanation of his dimensions of leadership. Interestingly enough, these dimensions are taught early on in one's Air Force career. Leaders before us taught us these dimensions while others did not, but it was the former style of leaders that I respected and modeled my own leadership style after. The leaders who interacted, set the right example, and gave me ownership inside their leadership realm. I expect this style of leadership to give me great "buy-in" from my people in the future. If they know that I respect them, care for them, and want/value their opinions, they will follow me anywhere.
Jackson (2014) quotes Sun Tzu and gives us a great example of what leadership should look like: "Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." Specifically, the following three dimensions of leadership resonate for me and manifest in my own application of leadership: leadership built on personal integrity and authenticity, adding and subtracting elements from the leadership palette, and actively participating rather than detached observation.
An example of leadership built on integrity and authenticity came from my DUI incident. I fessed up to the wrongdoing and was authentic in my remorse. My people respected me for that and supported me in this dark time.
An example of adding and subtracting elements from the leadership palette came when I gave one of my Airmen the opportunity to choose his own ramifications for being late on more than one occasion. I allowed him to have some decision making in his own punishment. I was exercising a hybrid style of leadership by allowing the Airman to decide his own punishment while still enforcing it and holding him to it.
Lastly, an example of interactive leadership where I participated as opposed to being detached came after my DUI incident. Instead of hiding my face and drowning in my own sorrows and embarrassment, I started my B.S. degree, took over as the lead non-commissioned officer (NCO) of an air traffic control crew (22 personnel), and won NCO performer of the quarter at the squadron and group levels. I wanted to show my team that I was ready to participate and be there for them even if I had made a mistake that contradicted that. My resiliency proved to my Airmen that they were the most important thing to me and that I was ready to lead our team even after a big mistake. Leaders don't pick and choose when to be leaders; they are leaders at all times despite the mistakes that they will inevitably make.
References
Denning, S. (2011). The leader's guide to storytelling: Mastering the art and discipline of business
narrative. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA.
Jackson, E. (2014). Sun Tzu's 31 best pieces of leadership advice. Retrieved
from http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2014/05/23/sun-tzus-33-best-pieces-of-leadership-
advice/
Comments
Post a Comment