A521.7.4.RB_MaceRoyce

In your Reflection Blog, relate a knowledge sharing story from your personal experience. Be sure to describe the context of your story.

My knowledge sharing story comes from a story that I have previously shared with the MSLD 521 class. The following specifically relates to how my own knowledge sharing story helped another person who was in a similar scenario to my own. As previously discussed with the class, I received a DUI in 2011. The incident was a rough one, but I learned to be resilient, strong, and find a better version of myself.

Approximately a year after my unfortunate indiscretion, a good friend of mine also received a DUI. Having known that I had made this mistake prior to his own indiscretion, he immediately called me to discuss what had happened and seek knowledge and/or advice about the topic. Having already been through the pain, embarrassment, and shame of a DUI, I was able to share my knowledge of what the post DUI process was like from start to finish.

Since he was also a military member, I detailed how things had worked for me with my chain of command after the incident. I did this even though we were in two separate military branches, so that I could give him a solid frame of mind in how to deal with his leadership (chain of command). Since his scenario was very similar to mine (off base and similar BAC levels), I was able to ease his mind with my own knowledge of the DUI process.

Additionally, since our scenarios were similar, I was able to provide him with knowledge in the form of emotional support. I had previously felt all the emotions he was dealing with and knew what to say in order for him to feel more comfortable about the feeling that he had incurred. Sole (2002) explains that stories highlight unexpected occasions that can prompt immediate and emotional responses; they expose our lack of control over our lives, but also offer a way to understand and respond to our futures. 

My friend was definitely in this realm of emotion and understanding. As time passed, I saw a change in him that was very uplifting. He stopped drinking and focused more on his work and military duties. My sharing of knowledge undoubtedly helped my buddy to deal with his whirlwind of immediate post-DUI emotions. My story helped ease his mind and let him know that someone he trusted had overcome a similar incident and was confident that he would overcome his indiscretion as well. I am very happy to report that he has landed a great job in San Francisco and thanks me often for my knowledge sharing story (although he doesn't call it a "knowledge sharing story")!  Ha!


References

Sole, D. (2002). Sharing knowledge through storytelling. Retrieved from                                               
     http://www.providersedge.com/docs/km_articles/Sharing_Knowledge_Through_Storytelling.pdf

Comments

Popular Posts