A641.7.3.RB_MaceRoyce

How can we see our true selves? To start, McKee, Boyatzis, and Johnston (2008) identify that profound personal change and leadership development are almost always linked to looking at one's current life holistically. How do we see ourselves? How do others see us? Where has our life been and where is our life going? To answer this question we can look at our personal lifelines, social identities, strengths, and roles.

In reflecting on my lifeline, I have come to realize the highs and the lows. I have done a pretty good job of avoiding the lows that I have encountered in the past through maturity and a change in behavioral patterns. I looked at myself pretty holistically without really knowing it in order to make the necessary changes. As far as the highs are concerned, I have had some pretty big ones, but know that there are many more in store. As a 34 year old male with a lovely wife and no children (as of yet), I am hopeful for the highs to come: having children, completing the MSLD program, career progression, lifelong learning, travel, and building resonant relationships at all levels. These highs are the ones that immediately come to mind.

My social identities have changed drastically as I have aged and matured. The people who took a different path personally and/or professionally from myself quickly became an afterthought. My inner circle has gotten smaller and I'm absolutely alright with that. I have come to understand that your social identity and behaviors are largely based on those that you surround yourself with. In my 20s, I departed a bit from who I was as a person in order to fit in with certain peer groups. In retrospect, these people (thanks to social media) can be observed in the same stale behavior that I remember them for. They have not changed and deep inside, I knew that I had to change personally in order to avoid any stunted personal growth. I feel as if I have made progress and because of this, I can truly say that I am hopeful for the future.

In the realm of strengths, I can really name three strengths that serve me well. Honesty, dependability, and compassion/care for others have always been baseline strengths for me as an individual. I have made it a point to live these three traits as consistently as possible. I have made mistakes as they pertain to these traits, but overall, I feel pretty positive about my history of living and acting on them. I feel strongly about my strengths and feel as if they give me hope for a bright future since they have previously served me well.

Lastly, my roles continue to expand, but I feel as if I am more fully prepared for the future roles that I will acquire. For example, allowing myself to mature before getting married and having children were important to me. I am prepared for fatherhood and feel as if I am truly ready for the immense responsibility. Next, my studies in leadership have allowed me to mature as a leader. This education coupled with life experience have prepared me for future leadership roles wherever I may end up. Understanding that experiences and subsequent maturity are vital for growth has translated into a solid foundation and confidence for any roles that may come my way.


References

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R. E., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader: Develop your 

     emotional intelligence, renew your relationships, sustain your effectiveness. Boston, MA: Harvard 

     Business Press.

Comments

Popular Posts