MSLD 511 Module 7 - Inner Work for Authentic Leadership

Consider George’s three points: inner work involves having real-world experience, process that experience through some type of reflection, and seek honest feedback from others. What kinds of real-world experiences have been most instructional for you? How and where do you take time to reflect? From whom can you receive honest feedback? How have these practices (or lack of them) affected your leadership abilities?


After watching George (2012), I was definitely able to reflect on my real-world experience as a leader in the military. I have reflected on my progression as a leader and have come to realize that an authentic leadership style is the most revered by followers to include myself. As a follower myself, I have always craved open and honest feedback from my leaders. In reflecting on this, I have become a better leader by providing open and honest feedback to my followers and at the same time receiving the same on my end.

I have reflected most on my leadership through the MSLD program and in talking with classmates on discussion board posts. Hearing the stories of others with different leadership experiences and styles has helped me immensely in the reflection process. Northouse (2016) outlines the the qualities that an authentic leader possesses and there is one key factor that must be omnipresent in all situations related to authentic leadership: trust. Without a mutual trust, both the leader and follower cannot have an effective relationship.

I can always get honest feedback from my commander and trust is the biggest reason that this can happen. Trust makes a leader authentic and allows feedback to flow freely and without reservation. By receiving this feedback, it has allowed me to constantly improve as a mid-level leader within my organization. I also try to have this trusting relationship with my subordinates as I believe that it leads to a good dose of reflection for both parties.

In closing, authentic leadership is a leadership style that allows a leader to be the most involved with their followers on a personal level. Through trust and valuing people, the authentic leadership approach can be a powerful ally as it is extremely personable and emotionally charged. As a young follower, I always had great respect for those leaders that were authentic and honest. By reflecting on this, over time, it has helped me become a better and more refined authentic leader.


References

[MoreThanSoundnet]. (2012, November 1). Harvard's Bill George: Inner Work for Authentic 

     Leadership. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPu2LQ84ts

Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage

     Publications, Inc.


Comments

Popular Posts