A641.3.3.RB_MaceRoyce
Self -awareness:
Eurich (2018) delves further into self-awareness by emphasizing that there are two types of self-awareness. The first is internal self-awareness where, simply put, the individual assesses their own values, passions, aspirations, reactions, and impact on others. Meanwhile external self-awareness means understanding how others view us in terms of the factors listed above. Essentially, are your self-aware of your external environment and how it sees you back? Additionally, something to consider... Does Goleman intentionally mention self-awareness as the first Emotional Intelligence (EI) dimension because it is a prerequisite for obtaining the subsequent EI dimensions? I would venture to say so.
Taking these types of self-awareness into consideration, I believe that only now in the latter part of my career and early to mid thirties have I become internally self-aware. My twenties taught me a lot about who I was and who I really wanted to become as a leader. I was most definitely more selfish in my early twenties and at times was more concerned with my own career than the careers of others that I supervised.
Today, I have been able to renew myself as it relates to self-awareness. I'm sure much of that has come with maturity and the heartache of tumultuous relationships with others over time, but I have found that I am able to see my past shortcomings much more clearly now. Additionally, the MSLD program has helped to become more self-aware and reassess what kind of leader that I am and what kind of leader I want to be. This degree program coupled with maturity and lessons learned have made me a more dynamic and self-aware leader.
Self -management:
Self-management is taking responsibility for one's own behavior and well-being. This means that we must consistently manage our own emotions, stress, missteps, and responsibilities if we are to ever manage others. I believe the ability to self-manage starts with a firm grip on an individual's ability to be fully self-aware. Self-awareness is the building block to successfully building all the dimensions of EI.
Self-management has mostly been a strong suit for me as an individual due to my ability to assess, manage, and implement my morals and values while simultaneously monitoring how others view me as a leader. Leading by example based on the principles instilled in me by both my parents and social environment have led to an ability to manage a range of emotions, take responsibility for my actions, and ultimately lead and manage others in today's complex leadership environment. I intend to continue my education and learn new self-management concepts as a means to become even more proficient in this arena.
Social awareness:
Deeply tied to self-awareness, social awareness expands to the far reaches of EI. As a leader, our ability to evaluate the feelings and needs of others can pay dividends as it allows us to provide them with the tools that they need to accomplish their assigned tasks. Social awareness allows the leader to be in-tune with their people and pro-actively attend to their needs.
Connelly (n.d.) reiterates Daniel Goleman's competencies for social awareness as the areas of empathy, organizational awareness, and service. Experience over time has allowed me to become more socially aware in these areas, but it wasn't always easy. Early on in my career, when I was less self-aware as an individual, I was also less socially aware. Again, self-awareness was the foundation for determining my social awareness competency.
In order to become more socially aware, I plan to build on the two previous EI competencies. I truly view each of Goleman's EI competencies as dependent on the others with self-awareness being the most important and absolutely necessary competency. Additionally, I plan to travel more and learn from other societal factions as a means to become more socially aware on a grand scale and not just within my organization. This will ultimately allow me to become even more aware socially within my organization.
Social skill:
Social skill is the ability to not only show empathy with others, but to also negotiate the needs of others with your own. This includes finding common ground with others, managing others in a work environment, and being persuasive. To me it is the end result and ultimate skill after first being self-aware, self-managed, and socially aware. While dependent on the other competencies, social skill becomes the final realization and test of how well an individual has developed the other EI competencies.
In my quest to master all of the EI competencies, I looked for the opportunity to exercise my social skills; specifically in a situation where negotiation was needed to solve a problem. Luckily, I was able to exercise this competency recently and assess my overall EI during a meeting/negotiation. While understanding the emotions and wants of the opposing side, who wanted to change a policy, I remembered to employ self-awareness, self-manage my emotions/personal wants, and finally, I was socially aware of the impact that my EI could have on the outcome of the meeting. In the end, my ability to apply refined EI, which was obtained through years of learning EI skills (through both positive and negative experiences), led me to handshakes and "thank yous" as I left the negotiation/meeting. I will continue to monitor and improve my EI competencies, but that was a start!
References
Conelly, M. (n.d.). Develop Social Awareness To Build Emotional Intelligence. Retrieved from
https://www.change-management-coach.com/social-awareness.html
Eurich, T. (2018, April 23). What Self-Awareness Really Is (and How to Cultivate It). Retrieved
from https://hbr.org/2018/01/what-self-awareness-really-is-and-how-to-cultivate-it
Eurich (2018) delves further into self-awareness by emphasizing that there are two types of self-awareness. The first is internal self-awareness where, simply put, the individual assesses their own values, passions, aspirations, reactions, and impact on others. Meanwhile external self-awareness means understanding how others view us in terms of the factors listed above. Essentially, are your self-aware of your external environment and how it sees you back? Additionally, something to consider... Does Goleman intentionally mention self-awareness as the first Emotional Intelligence (EI) dimension because it is a prerequisite for obtaining the subsequent EI dimensions? I would venture to say so.
Taking these types of self-awareness into consideration, I believe that only now in the latter part of my career and early to mid thirties have I become internally self-aware. My twenties taught me a lot about who I was and who I really wanted to become as a leader. I was most definitely more selfish in my early twenties and at times was more concerned with my own career than the careers of others that I supervised.
Today, I have been able to renew myself as it relates to self-awareness. I'm sure much of that has come with maturity and the heartache of tumultuous relationships with others over time, but I have found that I am able to see my past shortcomings much more clearly now. Additionally, the MSLD program has helped to become more self-aware and reassess what kind of leader that I am and what kind of leader I want to be. This degree program coupled with maturity and lessons learned have made me a more dynamic and self-aware leader.
Self -management:
Self-management is taking responsibility for one's own behavior and well-being. This means that we must consistently manage our own emotions, stress, missteps, and responsibilities if we are to ever manage others. I believe the ability to self-manage starts with a firm grip on an individual's ability to be fully self-aware. Self-awareness is the building block to successfully building all the dimensions of EI.
Self-management has mostly been a strong suit for me as an individual due to my ability to assess, manage, and implement my morals and values while simultaneously monitoring how others view me as a leader. Leading by example based on the principles instilled in me by both my parents and social environment have led to an ability to manage a range of emotions, take responsibility for my actions, and ultimately lead and manage others in today's complex leadership environment. I intend to continue my education and learn new self-management concepts as a means to become even more proficient in this arena.
Social awareness:
Deeply tied to self-awareness, social awareness expands to the far reaches of EI. As a leader, our ability to evaluate the feelings and needs of others can pay dividends as it allows us to provide them with the tools that they need to accomplish their assigned tasks. Social awareness allows the leader to be in-tune with their people and pro-actively attend to their needs.
Connelly (n.d.) reiterates Daniel Goleman's competencies for social awareness as the areas of empathy, organizational awareness, and service. Experience over time has allowed me to become more socially aware in these areas, but it wasn't always easy. Early on in my career, when I was less self-aware as an individual, I was also less socially aware. Again, self-awareness was the foundation for determining my social awareness competency.
In order to become more socially aware, I plan to build on the two previous EI competencies. I truly view each of Goleman's EI competencies as dependent on the others with self-awareness being the most important and absolutely necessary competency. Additionally, I plan to travel more and learn from other societal factions as a means to become more socially aware on a grand scale and not just within my organization. This will ultimately allow me to become even more aware socially within my organization.
Social skill:
Social skill is the ability to not only show empathy with others, but to also negotiate the needs of others with your own. This includes finding common ground with others, managing others in a work environment, and being persuasive. To me it is the end result and ultimate skill after first being self-aware, self-managed, and socially aware. While dependent on the other competencies, social skill becomes the final realization and test of how well an individual has developed the other EI competencies.
In my quest to master all of the EI competencies, I looked for the opportunity to exercise my social skills; specifically in a situation where negotiation was needed to solve a problem. Luckily, I was able to exercise this competency recently and assess my overall EI during a meeting/negotiation. While understanding the emotions and wants of the opposing side, who wanted to change a policy, I remembered to employ self-awareness, self-manage my emotions/personal wants, and finally, I was socially aware of the impact that my EI could have on the outcome of the meeting. In the end, my ability to apply refined EI, which was obtained through years of learning EI skills (through both positive and negative experiences), led me to handshakes and "thank yous" as I left the negotiation/meeting. I will continue to monitor and improve my EI competencies, but that was a start!
References
Conelly, M. (n.d.). Develop Social Awareness To Build Emotional Intelligence. Retrieved from
https://www.change-management-coach.com/social-awareness.html
Eurich, T. (2018, April 23). What Self-Awareness Really Is (and How to Cultivate It). Retrieved
from https://hbr.org/2018/01/what-self-awareness-really-is-and-how-to-cultivate-it
Comments
Post a Comment