A635.5.3.RB_MaceRoyce

Based on the feedback received from my own personal Management Assessment Profile (MAP), I would not fit well into the startup environment at NeXT. After years in the military, I am used to having much of the mission laid out with a clear understanding of what it takes to get there (goals, timelines, etc.). In reviewing the video, it is clear that there is a lot of uncertainty and pressure on the NeXT startup team. That's not to say that I wouldn't personally rise to the occasion if made a member of a team like this one, but only now am I at the point where I would be able to adapt and truly overcome this startup environment.

In discussing my MAP results with Ms. Turner at Nextsteps Research, she made it clear that the startup environment would be where I would struggle as a manager and leader. The consistent marks on my assessment implied that I dislike "uncertainty" and am extremely "data" driven. The startup environment similar to NeXT would likely produce high levels of uncertainty and a lack of data to support the future goals that are being set. However, with my new found knowledge of self and some time in this class for self-reflection, I have set goals for my myself to roll with amounts of uncertainty and a lack of overall data. That's not to say that I would be completely hasty in making decisions within the startup, but I would be more willing to take risks.

In reading more about Steve Jobs, I came across an interesting concept that he was well known for and used as a means to accomplish his goals despite uncertainty and an overall lack of specific data. I realized that I could use this concept or "tactic" as a means to counter my own managerial and leadership shortfalls. Hargrave (2016) discusses "Reality Distortion Field (RDF)", which he describes as "the beliefs that we have in ourselves and that can become self-fulfilling prophecies." Steve Jobs pushed limits and believed so much in his vision and team that he was able to convince them that they could accomplish nearly impossible things even against insurmountable odds. Interestingly enough, his RDF approach enabled people to rise to the occasion consistently thoughout his leadership tenure.

This approach to leadership and working with a team can prove invaluable, but with some caution attached to it. If we set these seemingly impossible goals for ourselves and our team, we will likely reach our goal much faster and with better results than expected. This is because we refuse to buy into limitations or failure. The caution from this is to utilize some common sense in applying the RDF. Steve Jobs had an entire team of programmers and engineers who left Apple to join him at NeXT. I would be reluctant if I were in Jobs' shoes were people to come unwillingly or lacked the experience to give the startup a fighting chance. Simply put, RDF can be extremely useful in accomplishing goals, but must be employed smartly and with the right amount of support.

In my own career, I can utilize RDF to rally the troops and encourage them to accomplish goals that they never thought possible. Most people that join the military already believed that they have become a part of something greater than themselves. That is where I have the advantage over a startup, but can remember this assignment and "lessons learned" as a means to take on challenges that I may face someday in the civilian sector. Armed with a tool like RDF, I can now feel more confident in leading during times of uncertainty, instability, or change.


References

Hargrave, J. (2016). How Steve Jobs Created the Reality Distortion Field (and You Can, 

    Too). Retrieved from https://medium.com/@jhargrave/how-steve-jobs-created-the-reality-distortion-

    field-and-you-can-too-4ba87781adba

Comments

Popular Posts