A633.7.3.RB_MaceRoyce

Complete the exercise at the beginning of chapter 10 and use the scoring table at the end to assess your responses.

Reflect on what this assessment means in terms of you as a leader and your relationship to your followers.

Has your thinking changed over the course of the past six weeks, if so; why, and, if not; why?
What is the significance of this in the context of your future leadership goals and objectives?


Obolensky's (2014) situational leadership exercise at the beginning of chapter ten showed very clear results for me. I scored 14 questions in the "involve" (S3) category and just two questions in the "devolve" (S4) category. As a leader, this indicates that I heavily value the opinions and feelings of those that I lead. In using a "pull" strategy, I put people first before the overall end goal and in my own mind this is because I know that without the asset of people (listening and working with people), the end goal will not be met.

In all honesty, my leadership style has not changed too much over the course of the last six weeks. Becoming a front-line supervisor in 2008 as a 24 year old made me grow up fast. I had successes and failures as a leader at such a young age as I was not fully mature in many aspects of life. As my experience grew, I learned many lessons in leadership and what leadership approaches worked when and what type of leadership to apply to who based on personality, scenario, and other important factors.

Reflecting on this assignment has helped remind me that although I learned leadership quickly and early in my career, there is much to learn and plenty of other leadership knowledge out there that can help my version of leadership become even better. As I continue to learn about leadership everyday as a non-commissioned officer, I also plan on reading and ingesting as much leadership material as possible. In order to close the circle on my leadership aspirations, I will observe the actions of those leaders that inspire me to become a better person, teammate, and leader... Then I will emulate their actions and continually seek to improve myself, my followers, and my organization.  


References

Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex Adaptive Leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty (2nd ed.). Burlington, VT: Gower Publishing Company.

Comments

Popular Posts