A520.4.3.RB_MaceRoyce

Yes, we all like to be paid, but money is not among the three most important reason why we work. Andy Mulholland shares his insights as to what those three things are.

Create a blog entry discussing each of the motivators identified in this video and discuss their impact on you; additionally identify 3 additional motivators that have a major impact on you.



After watching "The Three Things We Work For (Money Isn't One of Them)" featuring Andy Mulholland (Skillsoft, 2011), I came to realize how true the speaker's words really were. They rang even more true as they relate to myself and my organization (DoD and U.S. Air Force). The video specifically highlights three main points about why people are motivated to work: to do interesting work; to expand skill sets; and to be recognized, to be valued. Specifically, Mr. Mulholland highlights the fact that money is not typically a worker's "end all" when it comes to motivation.


For myself, all three motivators ring extremely true. I joined the military at 19 years old and despite the benefits, the pay is generally low. Couple that with the fact that my skill set as an air traffic controller can incur a six-figure salary with the Federal Aviation Administration and one would think that the military would be a short stint. Even when the opportunity to leave the military came after six years with a very valuable skill-set, I decided to stay in the military because I did interesting work, was able to constantly expand my skill sets, and was recognized for all of it.


Specifically, I had a unique and challenging job as an air traffic controller. Other junior military members would often be impressed when I told them what my career field was. This gave me a sense of pride and motivation. Second, I was able to quickly expand my skill-set within my career field by being selected to attend training opportunities that were supplemental and valuable to my technical growth. I was motivated to learn and these opportunities further fed my motivation to work hard and stay in the military.


Third, it was recognition in my hard work that led to the first two motivators thus creating a subsequent trio of motivators. Leaders within my organization recognized my motivation which was driven by interesting work and expanding skill-sets. All three motivators worked interchangeably to keep me steadfast and loyal to the military despite the potential six-figure income outside in the civilian sector. It looks like Mr. Mulholland had me all figured out from the beginning.


Three additional motivators that have paid huge dividends for me in my career are good leaders, camaraderie, and a sense of purpose. Good leaders have made my three aforementioned motivators come to fruition much like Mr. Mulholland said they would. Military camaraderie has helped me build peer-to-peer relationships and been a great motivator in wanting to support and protect my brothers and sisters in arms. Lastly, my belief that we are here on Earth to serve a higher purpose than just ourselves was put into action via my military service. In the end, I am very happy to be motivated by so many different things and glad for the opportunities that I have been given.




References


Skillsoft Ireland Limited (Producer). (2011). The Three Things We Work For (Money Isn't One of 


     Them). Podcast retrieved from


     http://library.books24x7.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/VideoViewer.aspx?bkid=43753

Comments

Popular Posts